The other major thing that has happened since my last post was my 3-week trip to the United States! I really needed a trip home. I can't imagine not being in Louisville for Christmas. All my friends were home for at least a day or two, my sister and her fiance came home for a week, and I spent a lot of time socializing, eating all the foods I had missed, and spending my hard-earned money! I am not planning on being in the U.S. again until a weekend in May for a wedding, and then in mid-June to begin my summer vacation. It was a wonderful trip. I already miss family, friends, and Chik-Fil-A, but I am excited to be back in Guate. I am rejuvenated and excited to finish the school year strong!
Sunday, January 9, 2011
Catching Up
Wow. I can't believe it has been so long since I have written! So much has happened, and it is shocking to think it all happened in just 2 months. My parents and aunt and uncle came to Guatemala for a week at Thanksgiving. We did things in the city at the beginning of the week. I brought my parents to have lunch with my class, which was a HUGE hit with my students. A few of them wanted to have a "conference" with my parents. They gave my parents a great welcome to Guatemala and to the CAG community. My mom also made a big, American Thanksgiving for us and 4 of my friends. Everything came out pretty much the same; even the sweet potato- type things were delicious!
After our time in the city we traveled to Antigua where we met up with Aunt Ann and Uncle Faustin. We did a morning tour of a coffee plantation and I stocked up on Christmas gifts! Turns out almost all of the really good Guatemalan coffee is exported, but we bought some straight from the plantation. Next we headed on an adventurous ride to Lake Atitlan. Our hotel here was incredible. We relaxed, did a boat ride on the lake, and really enjoyed the spectacular views. Sunday morning we made a quick stop in Chichicastenango for the world famous market and lunch. It was so nice to have our driver, Juan Daniel. It really allowed me to enjoy our time without worrying about rental cars or trying to find my way around. It was wonderful having my family here. Now I feel like they know what I am talking about when I mention places, and I feel like they have confidence in my happiness and success here in Guatemala.
After my family left there were 9 days of school until the holiday vacation. In addition to work, it seemed like there was a party or event every night! It was great seeing some of the Guatemalan December festivities- this time of year is the time of year for fireworks. Even our school had a big fireworks event called "Noche de Luces." I had never experienced any type of school event like this. There were 6,000 people, tickets sold out days in advance, and we even had a half day that morning so they could set up all of the vendors and fireworks on campus. I also had the joy of celebrating all of the these things during the two weeks with my boyfriend, Arturo. Beginning a relationship with him has definitely added some excitement to like in Guatemala! He is cousins with my Spanish team teacher, so I have started to get to know their family as well.
The other major thing that has happened since my last post was my 3-week trip to the United States! I really needed a trip home. I can't imagine not being in Louisville for Christmas. All my friends were home for at least a day or two, my sister and her fiance came home for a week, and I spent a lot of time socializing, eating all the foods I had missed, and spending my hard-earned money! I am not planning on being in the U.S. again until a weekend in May for a wedding, and then in mid-June to begin my summer vacation. It was a wonderful trip. I already miss family, friends, and Chik-Fil-A, but I am excited to be back in Guate. I am rejuvenated and excited to finish the school year strong!

The other major thing that has happened since my last post was my 3-week trip to the United States! I really needed a trip home. I can't imagine not being in Louisville for Christmas. All my friends were home for at least a day or two, my sister and her fiance came home for a week, and I spent a lot of time socializing, eating all the foods I had missed, and spending my hard-earned money! I am not planning on being in the U.S. again until a weekend in May for a wedding, and then in mid-June to begin my summer vacation. It was a wonderful trip. I already miss family, friends, and Chik-Fil-A, but I am excited to be back in Guate. I am rejuvenated and excited to finish the school year strong!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment