Friday, December 2, 2011

Thanksgiving in Guatemala Year 2

I cannot believe that I am one week away from Christmas vacation and flying to the United States. Where did the time go this semester? It's a Friday night, and I am sitting at home on the couch alone enjoying my first chance to have some quality brainless, TV watching, laziness. Going straight from a Master's course into 10 days of visitors made for an exhausting end of November, but I am so happy that my family came to see me again. There is nothing better than showing off a life that you love to the people you love the most.

My aunt and uncle from California arrived the Sunday before Thanksgiving. We enjoyed 2 days of shopping and eating together before my parents came. They stayed at a beautiful 5-star hotel that is close to my apartment. I felt they were really able to get a feel for my area of town as opposed to the city center where they were last year. Tuesday they did a Guatemala City tour which I recommended, and unfortunately my aunt's earrings got stolen from her ears. It was so quick, they didn't even see the guy's face! He was truly a professional earring thief. I have had a lot of visitors, and I am glad that the first negative experience was had by people who remained calm and didn't let it ruin the rest of their trip.My parents arrived the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, and we had a big cookout at my apartment. Then we headed to Antigua Wednesday after school, and had a somewhat traditional Thanksgiving dinner at Casa Santo Domingo the following day. Arturo joined us for the cookout and day in Antigua, and my family really enjoyed spending time with him. We had some car trouble on the way home which made for quite an adventure, but it seems to be fixed now.Friday and Saturday were definitely the highlight of the trip! All 5 of us took a flight to Flores, Peten, the largest and least populated region in Guatemala. It is also the home of the best Mayan ruins in Guatemala- Tikal! Our tour guide was incredibly knowledgeable, and our hotel was right there in the middle of the jungle. There were monkeys swinging in the trees right outside our door! The second day we took a tour to the ruins of Yaxha- another Mayan site where the pyramids overlook a beautiful river. It was incredible how organized the tour company and how much we all learned. I think the trip exceeded everyone's expectations!
Back in Guatemala City, my aunt and uncle left for home, and my parents and I enjoyed 2 more days together. We also had the chance to spend the time with some of Arturo's family, which was really special to me. Since everyone lives so far away, I want to take advantage of the times that we have together. After everyone left I was sad, but I am excited to see my parents again on Dec. 11.

This is a really fun time of year to work at CAG. There are lots of holiday festivities, and I am enjoying spending time with friends before the vacation. Next week will be a busy one with lots of activity!

No comments:

Post a Comment