Wow. I cannot believe that we are already in the third week of my second school year in Guatemala. Coming back after being home in the United States for two months was exciting. I loved my time at home with family, friends, and comforts found only in the US, but I was also ready to be back in my own space, working, and settled into a comfortable routine. Returning to work has been an interesting experience, and I am learning that each year in an international school can be completely different. The people I work with have changed, old friends have left, and new teachers have arrived. Suddenly, I am not the new teacher anymore. I am the one people come to for help with their apartments, getting settled, learning their way around work, and communicating in Spanish. This year, I am also the coordinator for the Master's Degree program I am in which is an added responsibility.

I can already tell a huge difference in my teaching. I tried to be very reflective last year as I taught different units, and I am already noticing improvements. My class this year seems to be energetic, but more academically ready for 4th grade than my students last year. I am so excited to be working with them! There will always be a special place in my heart for my first class, and I love getting to see them as 5th graders this year.
I am still in the same apartment, but I am considering a move at the end of this year to accommodate a puppy. Having a car has made a significant impact on my financial life, but has given me so much more freedom and ability to be social. Driving in the US was a definite adjustment after being on the somewhat law-less roads of Guatemala! Guatemala will elect a new president on September 11. Campaign posters have taken over the country. I have been trying to educate myself on the candidates, the election process, and more of Guatemalan politics in preparation. We will see what happens next weekend!
One of my goals for this year is to update my blog more regularly. Others include improving my Spanish and starting to save more money. Here's to a great new year in Guatemala!!
No comments:
Post a Comment