I made it to Gautemala! I had some issues in airport security this morning that caused a lot of stress (apparently one of my shoes had gunpowder residue on it...hmmm....), but everything else went great. I looked just like The Poisonwood Bible "The Things They Carried." Even my raincoat pockets were packed full of stuff! Right now I am sitting in my hotel room in Guatemala City chatting with my roommate and unpacking a little. I am exhausted. Luckily we don't have anything until 10:30 tomorrow morning so I will get to sleep in a little bit. We have orientation at the school, lunch, real estate shopping, and a dinner at one of the principal's homes tomorrow evening. Saturday we are off to Antigua for the afternoon! I will try to post some pictures as soon as possible- it was dark driving around the city this evening so I didn't get to see much. Already 4 Guatemalans have mentioned KFC when they learned where I was from. And one of the other teachers actually went to St. X for high school and is originally from Louisville (he is married and has been living in Milwaukee).
All in all, everything seems great so far and everyone is extremely friendly and welcoming. I know I will be overwhelmed with information in the next few weeks but I am ready!
No comments:
Post a Comment